Thursday, February 2, 2012

Smok Tech Dual Coil Tank Kit Review

I've heard a lot about tanks, and how they really cut down on constantly topping off cartos, so I just had to try one. Not to mention they just look cool. So I purchased the Smok Tech Dual Coil Tank Kit from Hoosier E-Cig Supply. I'll say one thing for Brant from Hoosier: he sure does ship things out fast. I barely pressed submit on the order form before I got the shipping confirmation. He's great, and the tank is pretty awesome.


To start with, I bought the smaller of the two tank kits offered by Smok Tech. It is a 3.5 mil tank, although I'm not sure it actually holds that much. I'd say more like 2 in the tank, unless they are adding what is held inside the carto as well. Then I can see it being 3.5 mil.

It's an attractive tank. I like the way it  looks on my pv. It comes with the clear drip tip pictured. That's kind of neat as well because it's a little longer than the drip tips I've found online and ordered. It is a tight fitting little thing though. You have to really press it on the end of the carto.

Okay, now on to the actual review of the Smok Teck Dual Coil tank. So far--no leaks! That's a really cool thing. However, this is not something we ladies can toss in a purse. It WILL leak if turned completely upside down. (Learned from experience).

The tank is pretty easy to fill following standard tank filling methods that you can find on youtube.

The downsides: I've heard that heavy juices work well in the tank, but I'm not finding that to be true. I can't get my 60% VG e-juice to flow. There is a solution to that, and that's to punch a slightly bigger hole in the carto. The pre-punched hole is way down at the bottom of the tank in the cartomizer. It's very VERY tiny. I switched out the heavier juice for a 30% VG blend, and that does seem to be working.

This may also just be a carto issue. I'll update the review here if it turns out that any of the replacement cartos can pull in the heavier juices.


UPDATE: I didn't even wait. The carto I was using was burning up from lack of fluid. If you buy this tank, and have to get the pre-punched cartos that come with it. PUNCH a BIGGER hole in it! I did that (although I broke out a new pre-punched carto) and it is working like a CHAMP.


I am not sure yet if I can use just regular LR dual coil cartos with this tank because it has that flange groove underneath it. However, I may try that since I have to punch out holes anyway, I may as well use cheaper cartos and just punch the holes in them myself from the start.

Taste: I'm finding that what I've heard about tanks dulling the flavor of the ejuices to be somewhat true. However, unfortunately it does 't dull a bad tasting juice all that well. If you have some very strong e-juice that you like, but find overpowering, here's a good way to use it.

The taste also improved now that the suction is working better through the bigger holes. This is even with my 20% VG e-juice, so not extremely thick.

In addition to the tank, I also purchased the adapter thread so it would look nice on my KGO. The adapter is NOT necessary for using the tank. It is simply ornamental, but nice to have when you want your e-cigarette to look good in public. Here's a picture of the KGO with the tank and adapter thread.


If you look at the base of the tank, right above the button on the battery, you'll see that with the adapter it is a smooth line from the battery up to the tank instead of being able to see the battery  neck and threads like you can above.

The only drawback to the adapter is that it only comes (at least from Hoosier) in chrome, so it will kind of stand out a little on the darker or other colored KGOs. Since I just ordered a chrome KGO I'm not worried about it though. It will look sharp on there.

Overall: Smok Tech Dual Coil Tank -- A for the tank, C for the pre-punched cartos.

I may upgrade that if the draw issue ends up just being a less than perfect carto.

No comments:

Post a Comment